Call for Expression of interest: Internships
The GEO Secretariat has the following internship possibilities available:
Title: Communications Intern
Post Level: Intern (unpaid)
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Period: 3-6 months
Anticipated Start date: As soon as possible.
The Group on Earth Observations Secretariat is looking for a Communications Intern to join their team in Geneva at the World Meteorological Organization.
Reporting to the Head of External Relations, the intern will primarily be responsible for creating engaging written materials for the GEO Observations Blog and other outlets.
Duties will include:
- Editing existing written content and contributions for wide public audiences;
- Sourcing, researching and writing original content on Earth observation activities and the impact of open data on various development topics;
- Compiling and editing newsletter content;
- Developing promotional content for written materials (suggested tweets, multimedia).
- Supporting live coverage of events (social reporting, live blogging)
- Carrying out other tasks as requested.
Desired skills include:
- Excellent English language skills.
- Ability to research and understand scientific content.
- Strong story-telling skills, ability to write engaging content
- Knowledge of social media and blogging.
The purpose of the internship is to provide interns with the opportunity to acquire experience and first-hand knowledge of GEO, enhance their educational experience through practical work experience and to provide GEO with the assistance of qualified students.
GEO Internships are open to students that have recently graduated (preferably at the Post Graduate level) or those approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis. The minimum age is 21 and maximum age 35. Internships can be of three to six months’ duration.
Applicants should be enrolled in or recently graduated from a university level programme in the following fields: Communications, Journalism, Social Media and related fields. Additional qualifications in related science subjects such as Earth Sciences, Geography, International Development Studies etc. are a bonus.
Full fluency and excellent written English skills are required for this post.
Renumeration and Costs:
Internships are not paid and thus at no cost to the Organization. Travel costs, travel arrangement and finding living accommodation are the responsibility of the intern, or their sponsoring institution, if that is the case. Interns must have adequate medical insurance coverage and provide a certificate of good health. Interns are not considered as GEO officials.
How to apply:
Applications (in English) should include a cover letter and CV and be sent by email to email@example.com quoting the reference GEO/Call for Internships/08-17