GEO Individual Excellence Award
News / 19 June 2019
The Group on Earth Observations (GEO) Programme Board is pleased to announce the launch of GEO Individual Excellence Award.
This award will be presented to individuals who have demonstrated exceptional personal commitment to the GEO Mission and whose work has had tangible impact.
Examples of accomplishments for which individuals may be recognized could include: being instrumental in generating energy within a community that has led to significant progress or achievements ; using creative and innovative approaches to achieve collaboration; overcoming administrative, political, institutional or structural barriers to advance the goals of a community; engaging or mentoring youth; advancing a diverse and inclusive GEO.
The accomplishments for the recognitions must have occurred in the period of 2016-present. Up to three Individual Excellence Awards will be awarded in 2019.
The Award Committee will use the following criteria to select finalists:
- Accomplishment demonstrated by a concrete impact, such as a new sustained community organized; EO-related discussions or language taken up and sustained in new fora; youth involvement in EO-related initiatives; persistently working on day-to-day tasks to enable progress by a community/Flagship/Initiative.
- Innovation in style or approach to tackling challenges.
- Nominee’s efforts are consistent with GEO’s core values and principles.
- Nominations will be made using a nomination form accessed here.
- The main element of the nomination is a maximum 2-page write-up detailing why the candidate deserves this recognition, the importance of the nominee’s effort described in terms of impact observed, and a brief CV of the nominated person. The nomination should address as many selection criteria as possible, as substantively as possible.
- The primary sponsor of the nomination will secure support from at least two additional co-sponsors. These sponsors may be contacted by the Awards Committee during the review process to seek clarification and other necessary auxiliary information related to the nomination.
- Nominations for GEO awards are not automatically renewed for the subsequent year. Nominees who do not get selected can be re-nominated in the next round.
- To increase diversity in the group of GEO awardees, we encourage sponsors to consider gender, geographical and cultural representation when nominating candidates for individual excellence.
- Nominations must be submitted electronically to email@example.com
Who can nominate?
Anyone in the GEO community can nominate individuals for the awards.
Who cannot nominate?
To avoid conflict of interest, members of the Award Committee cannot submit nominations or act as co-sponsors.
Who can be nominated?
Individuals involved in the GEO Work Programme activity currently, or past contributors who do not have any other conflict of interest may be nominated.
Who cannot be nominated?
- Awards Committee
- GEO Secretariat
- GEO Executive Committee members
- Programme Board members
Frequency of awards
People can only win an award in a given category once every 3 years.
- Call for nominations will be published on GEO website on June 20.
- Nominations Submission Deadline – July 31, 2019.
- Finalists selected and notified – September 2019.
- Award Ceremony – 4-9 November, 2019 during the GEO Week & Ministerial Summit 2019
Nature of the award::
- Recognition at GEO Plenary Week
- Certificate of Recognition
- Featured Profile on GEO website and social media outlets