Call for Expression of Interest GEO/CALL/in-situ/19/01
The GEO Secretariat is calling for expressions of interest for the following short-term assignment:
In-situ Data Management Specialist
Deadline for applications: 10 March 2019
Contract period : 1 May (11 Months)
GEO Senior Scientific Advisor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working under the responsibility of the GEO Senior Scientific Advisor, be responsible for the development of the in-situ data component of the GEO Knowledge Hub.
- Liaise with GEO’s key partners and providers of in-situ data (such as UN custodian agencies) to define and establish robust, authoritative in-situ repositories in support of achieving global/regional policy, and avoid duplication of existing in-situ repositories.
- Engage GEO Work Programme Activities, Member States and Participating Organizations to submit relevant in-situ data and associated documentation (such as provenance, data quality, licensing [if any]) to GEO Knowledge Hub.
- Develop software modules for ingestion, indexing, querying and presentation of in-situ data and related documents in the GEO Knowledge Hub.
- Develop a database for in-situ data in the GEO Knowledge Hub, based on open standards.
- Manage and curate in-situ data in GEO Knowledge Hub in accordance with GEOSS Data Management Principles.
Qualifications and experience:
- Minimum: an MsC in Computer Sciences, Geoinformatics or related areas and experience in team-based software development.
- Desirable: Experience with projects dealing with Earth observations, knowledge of spatial databases and open standards for geospatial data, knowledge of cloud computing tools, virtual machine deployment, web application development platforms and tools.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills.
- Proven experience on team-based software development.
- Ability to manage work, set milestones, meet deadlines, and motivate others to supply you with necessary information and input under same conditions.
- Ability to sharply assess and leverage opportunities.
- Ability to think creatively with vision, and identify and pursue ideas and opportunities.
- Well-spoken, well-informed, and well-prepared to speak on behalf of GEO.
- Ability to work in complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
To apply: Please send up-to-date Curriculum Vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference GEO/CALL/in-situ/19/01.